Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Where have all the Sea-Monkeys gone?

I have been a pet owner for less than a month.  I've never really had my own pets before, mostly because I don't like things that lick, get fur everywhere, and smell bad.  And because pets are all high-maintenance and stuff.  Not for me. 

After my Sea-Monkeys hatched, I went from owning zero pets to owning 75.  Or at least I thought there were 75.  They were so tiny and swimming around really fast, so it was hard to get an accurate count. 

Every day I look at my Sea-Monkeys, just to see how they're doing and every day, the number of little fish has gotten easier and easier to count because there are less and less of the little guys swimming around!!!! 

I'm down to TWO little fishys!  One of them is really big....like the size of 4 normal Sea-Monkeys and the other one is itty-bitty....like maybe it's a baby.

Where did the rest of them go?  I have no idea.  They're not floating at the top of their little plastic aquarium. 

I made a list of things that COULD have happened to my Sea-Monkeys....

1.  The really big one is a cannibal fatty and ate all of his little fishy friends.
2.  I fed them too much.  I gave them one small scoop of whatever it is that they eat every other day just like the instructions said.  Sometimes they still had food but I gave them more anyways because I decided they wouldn't eat the old, soggy fish food anyways.
3.  I didn't feed them enough.  It said to wait 5 days before you feed them for the first time.  I thought that was a long time, especially for babies, to go without eating and I almost decided to feed them anyways....But I didn't. 
4.  The water wasn't pure when I hatched their eggs and I accidently poisoned them.
5.  They could have gotten too cold.  It has been extra cold here!
6.  They didn't get enough natural sunlight....the sun hasn't been out in like a week and a half.  Who are we kidding, I haven't been getting enough natural sunlight. 
7.  Maybe there were only 2 from the very beginning.  I was sure there were 75, but they were swimming so quickly....
8.  The instructions said to oxygenate their water frequently because they need to breathe.  I didn't know how one would go about doing that, so I skipped that part....so maybe they suffocated. 
9.  Maybe they died of boredom because I hadn't gotten around to buying them their shiny diamond surf boards.
10. They just disappeared.  Into thin air...or water. 

I just remembered that those shiny diamond surf boards were supposed to keep my Sea-Monkeys from becoming "over-weight"....maybe I should still get them because I think I own one tiny-over-weight fish thing.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe to oxygenate it you should stick a straw in and blow some bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a computer, why didn't you look up what oxygenate meant, Cal? You just let your animals die, its a good thing you don't have real pets, who knows what would happen to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a comment on here but it disappeared. Weird. Anyway, I'd like to see these sea monkeys. Today on the radio some lady who owns a toy store called in, and she was talking about sea monkeys and the bigger version, sea monsters. Maybe you have a sea monster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the big one is a cannibal.. you'd think the stupid things would be very hearty considering they live in some kind of suspended state until you "bring them to life" by putting them in water. Post some pictures if you can.. and keep us posted.. these are the days of our lives, the sea monkey version.

    ReplyDelete